Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Hidden Art of Homemaking - Painting, Sketching, Sculpturing


                                  

This week I read chapter 4 in The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer.

This chapter was about adding beauty to your home and life through pictures.  She showed how she helped her grand-daughters understand the sermons on Sundays by sketching pictures about what was being preached.  As I looked at her drawings it made me think of my Auntie Diane and the chalk-art presentations I've seen her use for God's Glory.

My Grandma loves to draw and illustrate in her letters and I have always enjoyed the letters she has written me for the sketches helped bring her letters alive and made them fun to read.

I sometimes doodle on my papers when I am thinking and trying to write or waiting for something to write.  I like how you don't have to be very good at "art" to add interest to what you are putting on your paper or whiteboard.

I can add beauty through small drawings on my weekly menus or with the notes I write on my whiteboard.  I already add small squiggle drawings to many things and sometimes the kids ask me to add them to things I write for them.

I had not really thought about the impact that just a few small sketches could have in my home.  I certainly wouldn't want my artwork made big and framed, but it's the little details that make a home.

Linked with:

2 comments:

  1. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. What a wonderful heritage you have received from your Auntie and your Grandma, and now carrying on with your children. A great blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's NEAT that your dc notice and ask for your drawings :~)
    I've really let my weekly menus get...sad. That's my project this week, but I think I'll be turning to the computer for help-selecting some nice paper and a pretty font!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from my readers and reading your comments.