Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Dry Erase Marker Holder

Yesterday I got some new dry erase markers.  Then for lunch I had some Chinese Vegetable rolls, from the freezer section.  I thought the box my lunch was in was kind of a neat shape and was trying to think of something I could do with it when I remembered that I was going to need a container to keep my dry erase markers in.  I thought I could cover the box and make it pretty.

So I found some pretty fabric that reminds me of my Grandma.  I had it in my fabric drawer.  Then I set the box on the backside of the fabric and traced around the bottom, then laid it over on both sides with the flaps open and traced around them, too.  Then I cut out two pieces of fabric from the shape I had traced, making sure to leave a little bit extra around the edges to fold over as I was working on my project.  Then I used tacky glue to carefully glue the fabric to the box and I folded the fabric edges over the edge of the flaps to help keep it in place.  After I had glued both pieces of fabric on the box I glued the flaps down into the box.  When I was finished I added a little ribbon trim to cover up the cut edge of my fabric.

It is just the right size for our dry erase markers, and I didn't have to buy anything to make it.  You could also to the same thing with pretty paper.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty nifty! Now I want to hear the story about your grandma, and what about that fabric makes you think of her? I love stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the box is pretty! I just cut down some oatmeal containers and was trying to decide if I really needed them for something! I haven't decided yet, so haven't covered them with anything.
    Do you remember doing that "a long time ago" with some oatmeal containers? I do. I think you may have used some purple flowered fabric! Don't know what happened to them.

    love, mom

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from my readers and reading your comments.