Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What is Growing in our Garden?

It's been 2 weeks since we finished planting our garden.

Garden 1
In Garden 1 we planted:  Baby's Breath, Zinnia's, Okra, Cantaloupe, lettuce, cowpeas, green beans.  I haven't seen any sign of the Baby's Breath or lettuce yet.  I think there is one okra plant that didn't sprout, so I will plant another seed in that spot later this week.

Garden 2
In Garden 2 we planted: 1 Marion Tomato, marigolds, 1 San Marzano Tomato, 2 Jalapenos, 2 Red Bell Peppers, 1 Yellow Pepper, 1 Poblano pepper, chives, carrots, cilantro, zucchini and a few onions.  I haven't seen any sign of the marigolds, chives or carrots and 1 of the Red Bell Peppers.   I'm just seeing 1 cilantro plant sprout up, so hopefully the others will join it soon.

Garden 3
In Garden 3 we planted: 1 Brandywine Tomato, marigolds, cucumbers, zinnia, cosmos, 2 chili peppers, onions, 2 basil, black beans and potatoes.  I haven't seen any sign of the chili peppers, marigolds, or basil yet.

We have been so excited to see so much happen since we planted our seeds.  I also found a black caterpillar with a yellow stripe on each side munching on my onions yesterday afternoon.  Hopefully, there aren't more.  I did a little research and it looks like it is a Yellowstriped Army Worm.

In case you are wondering about the buckets in Garden 3, that is where we planted the potatoes.  I planted the potatoes on the bottom of the garden and took the dirt out of the squares.  As the plants grow we are adding the dirt back into their spots to cover the potato plants.  When they get to the top of the garden I won't hill them up anymore and we will see what happens.  The bucket has the bottom cut out and I am using it to keep the soil from the other squares from caving in.  I will remove the buckets when the holes are refilled with dirt.

Do you have a garden?  How is it growing?

Linked up with:

  

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is really coming along! I love this time of year when everything is starting to grow.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from my readers and reading your comments.