Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Hidden Art of Homemaking - Food

When God created us he gave us food to eat and enjoy from His garden.  We were created with the ability to taste all the flavors, feel the different textures, smell the tantalizing smells,  see the wide variety of food and be nourished with what God created.

Cooking can be an "art".

How fun is it to always open a package or can and warm it to eat?  Isn't it more fun to start with something fresh and make something out of it for everyone at your table to enjoy?

Pre-packaged foods can be great for when you are in a hurry, but they are seldom fresh and there isn't much art to opening a package.  For the few times I do use a pre-made meal I usually add some extra ingredients or a fresh vegetable or fruit.  I like to begin with the ingredients to make a dish, that way I can season it to the way we like it or greatly reduce the ingredients that aren't needed or liked as much.  I can also save money by making complete meals from scratch, because I am not paying for the packaging or labor to make it for me.  I also like to have a vegetable garden and it is fun to grow, pick and eat the food that grows.

Being able to incorporate yesterday's leftovers into tomorrow's meals can add a challenge, but be a great way to make sure you are using up everything you have, rather than throwing it wastefully in the trash.

I like to make my own chicken stock after I cook a whole chicken.  I cover the bones with water in my crockpot and add a couple of carrots and any other vegetables I have that need to be used up.  Then I let it cook on low for 18-24 hours and sometimes more.  Then I freeze the stock in 1 1/2 cup portions so it is ready when I have a recipe that needs it or I make rice or gravy and other meals that I can incorporate the chicken stock over then next several days.  This uses up my bones and costs pennies compared to a can of broth from the store.

Just by trying to serve a meal with a few different colors adds to the prettiness of it as well as providing a variety of vitamins and minerals.  It doesn't have to cost a lot to make those you are serving feel special.

The author wrote of how she shared simple fare with tramps and hobos who came to her door.  Making them feel special and giving them a Gospel of John to read as well.  There are other ways you could minister to people through food, too.  I made muffins and gave them to the family who was moving in across the street last summer; now we say "hi" to each other every time we are out.  I was making Christmas cookies in December and the Pest Control guy was at our house, so I wrapped up a couple of cookies in plastic wrap, sealed it with a Christmas sticker and placed them in a small paper bag to give to him when he handed our receipt to me.    When I wished him a Merry Christmas he was excited that we had thought of sharing with him.  I did the same for our mail lady who had frequently been bringing packages to our door.


What are some ways you have incorporated "art" into your food?



     

Also linking up with:


  


1 comment:

  1. Repurposing leftovers into something new and delicious is definitely an artform.
    And I make up chicken stock in a very similar way. It's wonderful having it at-the-ready in my freezer.
    Thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from my readers and reading your comments.